A guide to making Perfect Pancakes
Pancake Making – Top Tips!
BY EXECUTIVE HEAD CHEF, GOPI CHANDRA
• The basic kit- a good non-stick frying pan – flipping will be a lot easier.
• There are different variations in making pancake batter, I stick to a simple basic recipe (sweet) and make the fillings more interesting and exciting.
• Leave the batter overnight in the fridge and thin it with milk the next day before making the pancakes.
• Ensure the pan is in the right temperature, you can test this by spooning the mixture on to the pan prior to your first pancake and seeing whether it turns golden brown (not instantly burning – turn down the heat), My recommended cooking time is around the 25 to 35 seconds mark, with a few flips included, obviously!
• Be brave and adventurous with the fillings. There are hundreds of recipes online, try using the hashtag #pancakes on Instagram for some inspiration.
• Practice makes perfection. Try, try and try again. Get more pancake making mileage in your life.
• Make, making pancakes fun with family and friends. I always look forward to making pancakes with my 7 year old daughter; I don’t know who enjoys it more.
• Don’t be afraid of the mess – Leave the cleaning to the other half…
• 140g plain flour
• 250ml milk
• 100mil butter milk
• 2 fresh eggs
• 40g unsalted butter (melt 30g)
- Sift the flour in a bowl, make a well, set aside
- Whisk together egg, milk, buttermilk
- Add the egg mix in to the flour gradually in to the well, whisking together until a smooth batter forms
- Set aside to rest for 30 minutes before adding the melted butter in to the batter
- Optional: Leave in the fridge overnight & thin mixture with extra milk the next day
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat and grease/oil lightly
- Test heat (as explained above in our top tips)
- Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly (depending on how small or large you wish to make your pancakes)
- Cook evenly on both sides, flipping in between, of course!
- Add your toppings and you’re ready to enjoy.