A sprouting summer salad
Anyone who says salads are boring, simply hasn’t made one well. By no fault of their own, this might have been because they were short of a good recipe…
Introducing our sprouting broccoli, edamame & coconut salad, nutritionally dense and packed with superfood goodness, this salad is an ideal healthy option for a weekday meal.
Ingredients (serves 2)
• 200g purple sprouting broccoli, washed and trimmed
• 110g French beans, trimmed
• Pinch of salt
• 100g edamame beans
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
• 1½ tsp black mustard seeds
• 15 fresh curry leaves
• 1-2 whole dried chillies (or fresh if you can’t find dried)
• Shaved skin of 1 lime, plus 1 tsp lime juice
• 2-3g picked coriander leaves
• 20g coarsely grated fresh coconut
• Sprinkle of pomegranate
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli, French beans and some salt, and blanch for three to five minutes, until cooked but still with some bite. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a colander and run under cold water. Drain, pat dry, transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Return the pan of water to the boil, add the edamame beans and blanch for two minutes. Transfer to the colander, run under cold water, pat dry and add to the broccoli and French beans. Sprinkle half a teaspoon of salt over the vegetables, stir and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium-high heat. Add the onion, along with a quarter-teaspoon of salt, and cook for about four minutes, until soft. Add the black mustard seeds and, when they begin to pop add the curry leaves, chillies and lime skin. Fry for two minutes more, then tip over the vegetables, stir again and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Just before serving, add the lime juice, coriander, pomegranate and coconut. Give everything a very gentle stir and serve.