Shake Up Your Shrove Tuesday
BLUEBERRY AND LEMON CHEESECAKE PANCAKES
The beloved traditional lemon and sugar crêpe is always a go-to on Pancake Day, but why not use this occasion to get creative in the kitchen with something seriously delicious? Introducing Executive Head Chef Gopi Chandran and his simple yet sweet blueberry and lemon cheesecake pancakes. Enjoy!
– 260g plain flour
– 15g sugar
– 8g baking powder
– 4g salt
– 1 whole egg
– 355ml milk
– 5ml vanilla essence
– 100g blueberries
– 30g melted butter for the batter. 20g butter for cooking with.
– 1tsp fresh lemon juice
– 250g blueberries
– 50g granulated sugar
– 50ml water
– 80g mascarpone
– 50g lemon curd
– zest of 1 lemon
– icing sugar to garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla essence, butter and fresh lemon juice.
- Next, gently mix both the wet and dry ingredients together. Add 100g of blueberries and gently fold to combine – but don’t overmix! The batter should be lumpy.
- For the compote, place the remaining blueberries, sugar and water in a pan. Cook for 5 minutes then turn off the heat and leave aside to cool.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat and melt 10g butter until bubbling. Working in batches, spoon on around 70ml of the batter and cook until golden brown on the bottom and bubbling on the surface, (3-4 minutes). Flip and repeat for 3-4 minutes longer until cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the pan as needed.
Stack your pancakes and top each layer with 2tbsp mascarpone, 1tbsp lemon curd and 1tbsp of your blueberry compote. Garnish with the lemon zest and icing sugar and you’re done!