Skin Sun Protection
There are several ways in which you need to protect your skin daily, particularly from the sun and its UV rays which can lead to skin cancer, discoloration and wrinkles. Our head therapist has put together her top tips on protecting your skin from the sun alongside a list of our favourite sun protection products.
- Use sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB radiation. Make sure it is water resistant and has a SPF of 30 or higher. Other sunscreens may help keep you from getting sunburned, but they won’t protect against skin cancer.
- Limit the amount of time you’re in the sun between 10:00am and 4:00pm. This is when the sun’s rays are the most intense. Practice the shadow rule: if your shadow is shorter than you, the sun’s rays are at their strongest, and you should find shade.
- Use a lip balm or lipstick that contains sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Wear sunscreen year-round whenever you are outside.
- Do not use sunscreens that have expired.
- Avoid recreational sunbathing. Also, do not use sun lamps, tanning beds, or tanning salons.
- Wear a hat. For the most protection, wear a hat with a brim all the way around that shades your face, ears and the back of your neck. Tightly woven fabric, such as canvas, works best to protect your skin from UV rays.
Great products for sun use that we offer
IS Clinical – Extreme protect SPF 30
IS Clinical – Extreme protect SPF 40 Beige and Bronze tinted moisturiser
Elemis – Pro-collagen Marine cream SPF 30
Elemis – Dynamic resurfacing SPF 30
Speak to our Cottonmill reception team for more information or to purchase any of the products mentioned above. Cottonmill members also receive a 10% discount on our retail products.