Spelt and Jerusalem Artichoke Risotto Recipe
Are you eating healthily but struggling for recipe inspiration? We’ve got a dish that’s delicious, healthy, satisfying and versatile so that you can adjust to suit your dietary needs.
The spelt grain in this recipe is one of the oldest cultivated grains and is popular because it’s said to be easier to digest than other modern grain alternative. Spelt features a host of different nutrients including vitamin B to support general health & well being and manganese, a mineral that aids healthy bones and prevents disease – just to name a few!
Serves 4 – 6
You will need:
- 500g spelt, washed
- 4 x banana shallots, finely diced
- 2 x garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 x sprigs of thyme
- 350g artichokes
- 1.5L + 750g vegetable stock
- 100g kale
- 100g Shiitake mushrooms
- 50g olive oil
- Optional 50g Parmesan
- Salt/pepper/lemon juice
1. Make the Artichoke puree
– Peel the artichokes and place in lemon water (to prevent discolouring)
– Finely slice and simmer in 750ml vegetable stock until tender.
– Blitz until smooth and push through a sieve.
2. Risotto base
– Sweat the onions in olive oil until soft and transparent.
– Add garlic, thyme and spelt. Sweat for a further 2 minutes.
– Gradually add vegetable stock one ladle at a time, stirring continuously until the spelt is soft and all the liquids have been absorbed.
– Finish the risotto by adding the artichoke puree and parmesan.
– Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
3. To finish
– Garnish with blanched kale, stir-fried shitake mushrooms and artichoke crisps
– Optional: add protein on top e.g. grilled salmon or pan fried chicken.