The best way to ‘detox’ this January
The word detox will be used over and over throughout January and it’s a word that you shouldn’t be scared of.
Put simply a ‘detox’ or as we like to refer to it, a fresh and healthy start to the year is a way to help the body get rid of any toxins so that it can begin healing itself and get you back to the state of health you desire.
Here are 10 simple things you can do to help ‘detox’ as you start to introduce some healthy habits into your day to day life…
- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage and broccoli are excellent examples of detoxifying foods.
- Protect the liver by having a healthy lifestyle, good eating habits and refrain from excessive/regular alcohol consumption.
- Aim to drink at least 2 litres of water daily.
- Move your body – whether it’s choosing to walk the stairs rather than using the lift or dedicating 30 minutes of your day to get your heart rate up, you’ll be reaping the benefits in no time.
- Take a moment in your day to breathe deeply & enjoy a moment of calm. This will allow oxygen to circulate more efficiently through the body, helping to relieve any stress.
- Make a conscious effort to think positively. A positive mind will encourage positive things to happen.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a hot shower for 30 seconds followed by cold shower for 30 seconds; repeat this 3-5 times, a great way to improve circulation within the body.
- Get your sweat on in a sauna – this helps to eliminate wastes within the body by sweating it out.
- Get more sleep. The average person needs between 7-8 hours of sleep per night to allow the body to recover & rest. Say yes to more early nights!
- Introduce the rule of no technology after 9pm or take a digital free day once a week – if you’re addicted to scrolling then this one’s for you. Limit the amount of time you spend starring at a screen & you’re likely to notice a much clearer mind.