Summer Body Workouts
As summer approaches, it is time to get our bodies in shape! Below highlights two types of training that are perfect to get you slim and toned in time for the sunshine.
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
HIIT is a form of training where the aim is to elevate your heart rate to at least 80% of your capacity for a short period of time. With this elevation in heart rate, the body will burn calories up to two times quicker than a stroll in the park, which makes HIIT the ideal training method to get you trim in time for the summer months.
Benefits of HIIT:
- HIIT will be effective when your sessions are between 20 and 60 minutes long, which means that everyone has time to work out!
- Easy with various routines you can follow online or in person
- 20 minutes of HIIT (if performed to a high standard) can burn between 150 and 400 calories
- You don’t need equipment, just your body weight
- Your metabolic rate increases for up to 24/48 hours after the activity
- HIIT is a fun way to exercise as you can do pretty much anything as long as it elevates your heart rate
- Learn about endurance and fat burning heart rate zones to support your desired goals
Resistance training is another vital method of exercise that should be added into your weekly routine to achieve your desired summer physique.
Once the body sheds fat stores, it is important to enhance your toned physique underneath. This is where resistance training has its place. There isn’t a correct number of sessions you should be aiming for in a week but aiming to train every muscle group at least once per week will help you achieve balanced muscle and definition development.
Benefits of Resistance Training:
- Great for building muscle mass to improve your physique and positively influence your ability to carry out daily tasks at work and home
- Great way to burn calories and control body fat
- Decreases chances of injuring joints and muscles but strengthening the tissue around the area
- As we get older, resistance training helps slows down muscle atrophy (how quickly we lose muscle tissue)
- Depending on physical factors, weight training can burn between 100 and 200 calories in 30 minutes
With clear workout goals, a mix of HIIT and resistance training, and strong will power, you will be able to achieve your desired physique.
If you want to get started on your summer body, learn how to lift weights, increase your knowledge on nutrition, or put together a workout routine please consult our fitness team at Cottonmill Spa!